So there's not a whole lot to do up here in your free time besides sleep, adventure in the wilderness, and well, drink. Also, burn things. We don't recycle anything because it's too expensive so we burn all of the trash that we can - boxes, etc. A couple weeks ago we had a large amount of pallets from all the supplies that were delivered at the beginning of the season. This meant of course that we should go burn things. With a lot of gasoline and booze. So one night we drove up to the bonfire pit - a clearing about twenty minutes up the road - and did just that. It was great. It burned really hot and big. We made a game of throwing burnables into the inferno and Andrew started another game of throwing rocks at the metal can across the clearing. The things we do to entertain ourselves up here. Good fun.
A couple nights ago we had another fire, but much smaller. It was right outside crew cabins and there was about ten of us there. We had an iPod with speakers and lots of dancing and a guitar. It was nice to let go and just chill. It was also the night before my day off so I didn't have to worry about getting up in the morning. Also a lovely feeling. I danced with one of the pilots (Scott Dagnon) for Island Air, the airline company Nani and Scott also run, and just enjoyed myself. It was a lot of fun.
On my day off two days ago, we went out on a fishing adventure. We went up Sarcar (the lodge is located in Sarcar cove) and fished for sockeye salmon. I went with Jeremy and Dagnon. I learned how to fly fish, how to bleed a fish, how to drive a boat and how to filet salmon. It was great. So much learning and so much fun. I like cutting fish, I want to get better at it. Work is going well. I make between 25-30 sandwiches a morning, drink a lot of coffee and walk a lot. And I'm getting good at making fires. I've dropped a fair amount of weight and gained a fair amount of muscle in return. I also got a knee brace so my leg hurts less, which is wonderful. Another thing: it turns out people buy you drinks when you make them their lunch. I had no idea the buying power of sandwiches. It's amazing. The guests found out that I'm the one that makes their lunch and they were like, "You're our favorite person! Thank you so much." I wanted to say, it's just sandwiches but I am learning that is not the case. It's kind of nice to know that. I must be off to work but there's my update for now. Love from the wilderness.
Cheers,
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment