Thursday, June 9, 2011

Arrival in the Wilderness

So it's day 3 of my time in Alaska. So far, so good. I love it up here. It took me half a day, three flights and an hour long car ride into nowhere along a sketchy dirt road to get here. The first day I just hung out, settled in and did some introductory stuff. The wilderness is crazy up here! So wild. Absolutely stunning and absolutely impossible to describe.
As we flew in from Ketchican, there was water everywhere with tree-covered islands popping up everywhere. Some islands just had trees on them and were like little round plates and others were bigger, with rolling hills and beaches and lakes. EVERYTHING is covered in trees. You can tell where they've logged in the past and are beginning to reforest. Just breathtaking. So wonderful. Also, the air is unbelievably pure and the water is drinkable without any adjusting. It tastes so good. So pure.
I had my first day of work yesterday: all day on your feet, doing dishes, laundry, setting tables, clearing tables, more dishes, and more dishes. My day looks something like this. I work from 4:30-8:30 am, sleep until 12:30, eat lunch and play for a few hours. Then I work again from 4:30 -8:30 pm and hit the bar for some pool or darts afterwards. I go to bed around 11:00 and repeat. Pretty tiring but definitely worth it.
Today is the second day so I'm starting to get into the rhythm of how things work and the pecking order. It's a great place to be. The place are great, the landscape is beautiful. The sun rises around 4:30 and sets around midnight. Well, almost sets. There's always some light somewhere. Very disorienting.
Pictures to come later.
Off to nap now. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing cousin! Can't wait for pictures! Can you also send me your mailing address? Be safe and have FUN! lots of love, elise (umm, other elise...cousin elise!)

    ReplyDelete